About the Teacher
Degrees and Certifications:
University of Alabama at Birmingham, BA in Art Studio University of Alabama at Birmingham, Master of Education
Hi! I am Laura Wilkerson. I grew up in Montgomery, AL where I graduated from Robert E. Lee high school. Throughout my years as a student in Montgomery, I was influenced by two amazing art teachers. While I was pursuing my undergraduate degree, I decided to focus my portfolio on graphic design and photography.
I graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham with a Bachelors degree in Art Studio. Before coming to the realization that art education was the career for me, I worked as a graphic designer for an insurance company. I also became a professional photographer in the process. I obtained a Masters degree in Education at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2019. I am the art teacher for Margaret Elementary and Springville Elementary.
I am married to my wonderful husband, Cody. He is also a teacher! He teaches at Springville Middle School. We have two dogs, a dachshund and a lab. When I am not in the classroom, I am usually behind my camera, travelling, or reading a good book on my porch.
Follow our class on Instagram: @artwithmrsw
Class Website: www.artwithmrswilkerson.com
Our school is participating in a creative fundraiser with Art to Remember that allows you to purchase keepsake products customized with your child’s art. There are over 50 products to order from and many are less than $15.00. These make great gifts and a percentage of every purchase goes right back to our school. Students that are attending SES traditionally, have been working hard on their artwork during art class. Their order forms will be sent home in late October. There is also an option for adding additional artwork online. The online link is below.
For SES hybrid students and parents, you have the opportunity to participate from home! All you need is to have your child make their artwork on 8x10 white paper. Once completed, upload the artwork by going to https://arttoremember.com/school/LF7M6G and following these instructions:
- Go to the website listed above, enter your child’s first and last name in the “Search for My Child’s Art” box, and click “search”.
- When the search results appear, click the “Add to Gallery” button in the box with your child’s name that does not show a picture. Then click “shop” at the bottom right of the page.
- This will take you to the shop page and you’ll click the icon that says “+ Add Art”.
- Click “Upload from my computer”.
- Click “Choose a File” and select your chosen piece of artwork from your computer. Edit if needed, select an artist (your child’s name), then click “Finish & Upload”.
- Artwork will appear on the main product page where you can shop products and add to cart.
- At checkout, you can enter a password to create an account and save the artwork to your personal family art gallery!