Skip To Main Content

Student Enrollment

PowerSchool Enrollment Logo

PowerSchool Enrollment


Enrollment Information


(Code of Alabama (1975) § 16-28-4) Children entering kindergarten must be five years old on or before September 1st. Children entering first grade must be six years old on or before December 31st. Students requesting admission who are over 18 years of age with a history of disciplinary dismissals may be denied enrollment.


All students enrolled in St. Clair County Schools must live with a legal custodial parent/guardian. Extenuating circumstances must be approved by the superintendent. Students enrolling in St. Clair County Schools shall provide the following information:

  • Proof of Age — this may consist of a valid birth certificate, a valid passport or other official document listing the date and place of birth, such as a health certificate or notarized statement.
  • Proof of Grade Placement -- Report card, transcript, or withdrawal paperwork from previous school.
  • Valid Social Security Card * — disclosure of a students’ social security number is voluntary. The number is used as a student identifier. It will be solely used for state and local statistical purposes. If you do not have a valid Social Security Card, please contact the Social Security Office to obtain a copy of the card. This process can take 7-10 business days before you receive a copy of the card via the mail. Please click here for more info pertaining to replacing a lost Social Security Card.
  • Proof of Immunization — One of the following forms is required by state law and may be obtained from the health department or your child’s doctor:
    • An up-to-date Alabama Certificate of Immunization (COI) — May be obtained from your child’s physician or local health department
    • An Alabama Certificate of Medical Exemption — for specific vaccine-preventable diseases —  must be obtained from student’s physician 
    • An Alabama Certificate of Religious Exemption — must be obtained from your local health department
  • Photo ID — Driver's License, State Identification card, Passport, or other official government photo ID .
  • Proof of Custody (when warranted)
  • Copy of lease or mortgage agreement
  • 2 Proofs of Residence (examples—but not limited to):
    • Copy of current utility bills in a parent's name (power, gas, water, telephone, etc.)
    • Property Tax Notice, Voter registration Card 

For parents/guardians living with another person or family, the owner/renter of the property shall provide two (2) proofs of residence (see above). The parent/guardian and owner/residence must complete an Affidavit of Residence Form, and have the form notarized. The parent/guardian and owner/residence will meet with the principal or principal designee.


Children who are zoned to attend St. Clair County Schools and who are homeless, migrant, non-English speaking, foster or immigrant will have access to a free, appropriate education. Students will not be prohibited from school attendance due to barriers such as:

  • Residency Requirement
  • Lack of Birth Certificate
  • Legal Custody Requirements
  • Language Barriers
  • Lack of Social Security Card
  • Lack of Immunization Records
  • Transportation
  • Disabilities
  • Lack of School Records or Transcripts

*By federal law and relevant court orders, as well as Alabama Department of Education directives, these documents are not required in order to enroll. The collection of this information is for creation of a unique identifier for students. This is important due to electronic transfer of information of students from one school to another, both within our system and state. Failure to produce these documents does not prevent a student from being enrolled in any St. Clair County School. If a student does not have or cannot produce a Social Security number, a unique identifying number, based on a formula unique to the school system, will be used to create the number. NO intent is made or implied to require information regarding any student’s immigration and/or citizenship status.